Travel to Newfoundland, Canada - and a travel journal

Hi yall - sorry for the lame delay posting.
Lot's has happened since I last posted (so sorry); but I'll jump to the excitement (?)
Jerry and I got back from a week in Newfoundland, CA. What a thrill.  If you want to see what we saw in the way of nature and birds - I'll add links to Jerry's posts here. 
Sep 2 -- 

I played around with how to take an art journal and document the trip in this fashion.
First, I was inspired by travel watercolor kits that seemed to pop up everywhere I looked as I was getting myself ready for the trip. (That might be worth a separate post?)

Notes for starting, maintaining the travel watercolor kit:
Skipping to the end of this loop, I ended up compiling my own travel watercolor kit from bits of other kits that I thought would serve me best. I'll tell you how that worked at the end of this post.

Why take watercolor when in the studio I prefer Acrylic and other media?
1. Color range is good, and products can be of high-enough quality ($tudent-grade to $$$ky-is-the-limit)
2. Practical application: watercolors can be dry, which makes them good travel companions and wetted with simple water (and a handy waterbrush) - again adding to the good travel companion equation.
3. Travel kits are easily available (pan and half-pan configurations) that make these good for travel. Heck, pan/half- were made for travel!
4. Art supplies are not airline friendly; but watercolor pans, if checked into luggage, can be acceptable as a not-dangerous substance; pure pigment. No weird binders, etc.
5. Getting something on paper is more important than the medium. As Dina Wakley says: done is better than perfect. I can capture the inspiration and feel of what I'm thinking, doing, etc and perhaps that might translate into a finished "masterpiece" when back in the studio. Or it might not. And either is fine.

Watercolor travel palette outcomes (round 2)
Sorry I don't have a picture of the original layout. But here's the improved layout and swatches. :)

Pro
  • Using a similar layout as CeeCee Creates discussed, my colors worked really well for me. The layout seemed very logical for how I work. Link to Cee Cee's video https://youtu.be/1soniQ_KWPc
  • Room right in the kit for a water pen. Very handy. (More on Cee Cee in a bit; I'm completely infatuated with her <3 )
Con
  • Too many of the same green hue. Also problematic since I don't really like many greens right out of the tube, or in this case - the pan. I prefer a yellowed or blued green; or simply mixed with something else. (I think I really do love green)
  • A smaller number of duplicates in the quinacridone gold range.
  • Not enough opaque pans.
The paints I added are from my current collection of watercolor tubes. The really clean (not all chewed up) ones are from other "pan" collections. I'll add those references in a bit.



That gorgeous rose gold source?
Here you go...

DISC JOURNAL : TRAVEL JOURNAL
I've been working with disc binding my journals pages that are loose for a little while (thanks to work journal). And I decided to apply this to a travel-type journal for the trip to Newfoundland.

Rather than droning on about the how, I'll link to a CeeCee Creations Youtube video that explains the process. There are many different disc style makers and configurations, but you'll get the gist and apply to your own world if it's for you. I don't use the Levenger configuration that CeeCee shows because I already had the Office Depot system.
https://youtu.be/TNt9wTHOMhE?t=9m41s

Unfortunately, I already "fixed" (glued) my journal after the trip so it won't fall apart and I can re-use the discs in another project.

But here's what it looks like now.

Because of this awesome book binding glue. Nope, not fancy. But: works. :)


Ok that's it on setting up the mechanics of the watercolor pans and travel kit
And how to archive (apologies to real archivists) the finished materials for longer-term storage. 

Thanks for reading this far. What does your kit for travel with your art look like? I'd really love to know. Please share in the comments.  

Have a great day
Peace

Robin 





Comments