Getting ready for the holidays...December 2017 (& Happy Birthday)

I’m still getting used to blogging my adventures in art. Since Thanksgiving, I’ve been making some Christmas cards.
I’ve been following a few good card makers:
K. Werner http://kwernerdesign.com/
Jennifer McGuire http://jennifermcguireink.com/
Simon says stamp.com http://simonsaysstamp.com/
PennyBlack.com http://pennyblackinc.com/

I’ve found that many of the card kits are just too cute for my taste. I seem drawn to cards that have a punch of color, or stamps that are a bit on the sassy side. These are difficult to find. Delusions and Jane Davenport are some newbies for me that start to fill the spot. I also like the flexibility with my own cards that I can orient them in non-traditional ways - using the short side as the "binding" or fold. Are most commercially made cards oriented with the long-side as the fold? I haven't done the research, just an inkling.

I’ll add some photos of my favorite cards. I have to come back and link to the online-stores for the dies and stamps I used that I couldn't re-find right away. (sorry)  Note: these are just plain-old links, added for your convenience.


This was done with a Penny Black(?) stamp for the sentiment; and northern lights from simon says stamp. When I find the link, I'll add it. Since the sentiment and the color is also dotted with silver-ish highlights a piece of silver metallic paper as the backing pulled it together nicely. 


This was done with Altenew mistletoe stamp. I like the simplicity of it. The Altenew stamp set included a "build" I think is the term that allowed the darker bits in the center of the large mistletoe piece. I like the dimension it adds to an otherwise simple card. You maybe can't tell, but I went over the berries with some "glossy accents" to give them a little extra bling and dimension. The sentiment? Also from the stamp kit, but heat embossed with gold powder. The whole thing was mounted on a piece of gold paper (amazon) that ties it together nicely and keeps it from being too simple. I might put the words a little closer together next time. But I like the use of space.


I think this one isn't quite done. put a bird on it stamp from Dylusions (Ranger)
The dots on the border were done with the dots stencil that came with the birds. Using a same color (Soft Tomato?) from the birds I only added a margin of dots all around. This was done with the A2 card but flipped open to use both sides of the card (both sides when folded to the standard A2). 


I tried to use the Grid Collage die in a different way. The sentiment is purposely wavy; does this look strange or does it add a little counterpoint to the straight lines? I was concerned "straight" words would make this look too stoic. I like the contrast of the white cover with the pops of color. 
How to make the pops of color? 


These 3 use the Holly Triptych die. I like how the bright colors pop through the windows.
Same Altenew sentiment stamp as above. The "PEACE" sentiment was pulled from the Stained Glass Greetings from SSS. I double stamped them: 1 with the color, then 2 with 
pearl embossing powder to give them a little dimension. It's really difficult to see here. I've added another photo showing this a little better up-close (see the little sparkles).



This makes me think about my Graphic Design capstone project. I’ll need to create a logo for a business. I think this might be a opportunity for a 2-fer. Win-win. The logo is for me and Jerry.... a studios logo. ..but I digress...

Today is my big brother Hal's birthday. He would have been 62 yo today. Happy Birthday Hal. I miss you so much. We had a lot of fun didn't we. You were my first BF - forever.








Comments