(2) next blog entry: what did I learn: from what I created.

next blog entry: what did I learn: from what I created. 


One of Joan’s exercises was for us to put up our pieces from the 4 days and see what we had actually done. What threads, themes, etc were showing up?

And then, to get us thinking more creatively about our own work, she gave us a starter list of adjectives to help us describe what we were seeing. Then, if that wasn’t enough, we each used a blank sheet for each other to use to share what we saw/thought/felt when we looked at each others’ works. It was great fun to see what had been produced.

Below: a starter list of questions to consider when looking at and thinking about what I learned:
  1. what was accomplished (this is easier if you start with an intention):
  2. What did you learn? (Line, shape, chroma, texture, value, gradation, etc)
  3. What is it that you like/don't like?
  4. What does it teach you to do again?
  5. Where was it successful; why?
  6. How does it make you feel?
  7. Use more adjectives. Write multiple pages (she said ~12, but maybe I can work up to that)
Another aspect: Matisse color theory
Discordant color:
  • Darken your lights (yellow, orange, green)
  • Lighten your darks (blue, purple, red)
So what have I learned about my art from the last 4 days? 
  • I’ll be writing that here, giving it much thought.
  • Try to write more than 4-5 pages (try for 12!) for each, to push into the crevasses of “what”


…time for a break…


 




About these:

A starter list of questions to consider when looking at and thinking about what I learned, what was accomplished (this is easier if you start with an intention):

  • What did you learn? (Line, shape, chroma, texture, value, gradation, etc)
  • What is it that you like/don't like?
  • What does it teach you to do again?
  • Where was it successful; why?
  • How does it make you feel?
  • Use more adjectives. Write multiple pages (she said ~12, but maybe I can work up to that)

-------------
  • These are very colorful, both cool and warm mixes.
  • Good amount of texture and color combinations
  • the collage pieces are fairly graphic, but upon further look, the blue square one has the middle filled up with a "quiet" collage  piece surrounded by the bolder graphic pieces
  • I wonder: the fact that I took mostly red, blue, yellow with the idea of mixing; and a few other - out of the tube colors; makes me wonder just how much I actually did mix. I like the bright, clear colors, but I wonder how much of my color choices is dictated by the number of tubes on the ride. 
  • Should I try to mix more? Joan made a comment, that sometimes you can tell exactly  which brand/color is on the paper/canvas; and that can be distracting to some people.
  • I should try to mix more. 
  • the one that looks like the french flag is a little distracting too. I tried to mix it up with a little yellow band; but not enough. if I turn it over, it'll look like red-sky at night on a seascape. That's not bad, but not what I was going for. I was just going for a simple construct. Color in this example got in the way. Maybe I should try to overlay or modify the color more? 
  • I like the start of line work, as much as they seem different, there are some commonalities
  • Indecisive to an extent, there is much more I could do with the lines - thick to thin. With the bottle-produced lines, how would I do that?
  • I could create a typical line, then smooth the line from one end to middle. That would smooth from widest to narrowest - which is also the width of the original lineI like the area of quiet in each of the pieces. 
hmmmm....



Ideas:

R.E.M.: it’s the end of the world …. ‘88…and i feel fine 

Comments